December 3, 2009

Pickled Beets

Earlier this year I was given a box of assorted beets. Regular beets, goldens and even some chioggias.  Enough that I couldn't eat even a small portion.  So I decided to make pickled beets with them.



 The regular beets turned out great.
   Amazing color and flavor.  
I even made a few spicy.


The golden beets had good color also but not as intense. 
I added garlic to those.


Sadly the chioggias became washed out. More of a very pale pink and gray.  Not attractive. So bad in fact I am not going to post the picture.


The brine that I used is a very simple one and one that can be used for a variety of vegetables.  

1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon pickling salt
1/8 teaspoon pickling spice
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 onion
Garlic cloves
Chile peppers
1 lb beets

Combine first five ingredients and simmer over low heat until sugar and salt are dissolved. Set aside. 

Place beets in boiling water for 25 mins or until the skins slide off.  Peel your beets and cut into bite size pieces. 

Slice your onion into half moons.

Place garlic or hot peppers into you jars. Alternating layers place beets and onions into your canning jars. Pour vinegar mixture over the beets and onions.


Leaving 1/2" of headroom process for 30 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment