February 19, 2010

Pickled Carrot and Leek Shreds



I have made many variants on this recipe.  In the summer I make it with zucchini and carrots.  This time I made it using carrots and leeks with a bit of spice.  Ok maybe more than a bit.  Either way it is a great recipe.  I have served it on bread, with pasta and to add depth to a salad.  It adds color to a winter table, a little bit of summer in the cold.


To make the carrots easier to julienne I have a favorite tool that I use. It is used like a vegetable peeler only it shreds the vegetable into multiple thin strips.  This little tool achieves the same result as a mandolin but without the worry of cutting yourself and the space needed to store and use it.

Spicy Carrot and Leek Shreds

2 lbs Carrots
1/2 lb  Leeks
1 T Kosher Salt
3 c cider vinegar
3/4 c water
1/2 c honey
1  Pickling salt
3 chipotle peppers, chopped
4 cloves of garlic

 
Julienne the carrots and leeks. Toss with salt.  Let stand until softened.  Drain and rinse.

Mix vinegar, water, honey, and salt.  Stir until honey and salt are dissolved.

Place one clove of garlic in each jar. Evenly distribute the peppers between the jars  Distribute the carrot-leeks mixture between the jars.  Pour the vinegar over the vegetables making sure to leave 1/2 inch of headroom.  Process for 15 min for 1/2 pints and 20 for full pints.

6 comments:

  1. ooh, these look great! I love leeks in anything! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE leek! I don't like pickles, though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chipotles??? You're singing my song! Do wish you'd posted a pic of the final product though - this sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ap269: You can always make it as more of a salad.

    RJ: I am working on getting better about photos. Trying to take photos on my boat(where I live) is difficult. Have made a bargain with a friend of mine to take photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need that device in my life! Does it have a name?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doris: Not that I know of. I would just recommend asking around at your local Asian store. Hopefully they will have it.

    ReplyDelete