May 20, 2010

Bloody Mary Asparagus

This is the first in a series of pickles.  A friend of mine wants to make the "Salad" for Bloody Mary's as her wedding favor.  Needless to say I was more than willing to take up that challenge.  I recommend letting these guys sit for a month or more but as my tester found out they are very tasty after just 2 weeks.


Bloody Mary Asparagus 

The recipe is for a pint of asparagus and yes it is worth just doing one of two pints. If you have exceptional long asparagus go for a quart jar.

1 lb asparagus, trimmed
2 c white vinegar
1/2 c water
1 T salt
1 t horseradish
1 t hot sauce
1/2 t black pepper, cracked
1/4 t celery seed (optional)
Trim the asparagus to the height of your jars.  Simmer vinegar, water, and salt until salt is dissolved.  Place the spices in the bottom of your jar.  Place your jar on its side to make packing the asparagus easier.  When your jar is filled pour the warmed vinegar over the asparagus until the jar is filled to within 1/2 inch of the top.  Process for 10 mins.

11 comments:

  1. These are delicious, even just by themselves.

    I could eat a whole jar in one sitting if I let myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally making some tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sound fantastic! I love horseradish in my bloody caesars. Did you use bottled horseradish or fresh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This time I used bottled but in the past I have used fresh. Fresh is also very nice to use for making pickled beets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I wish I had thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my dad's birthday present right here! I can't remember if he loves asparagus so I think I'll try a batch with green beans too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what does process for 10 minutes mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Please sealed jars of asparagus in the water and let boil for 10 minutes. Remove jars and let cool. Make sure jars are sealed before storing in a cool dark place. Google "Canning - Processing" for more info

      Delete
  8. Think it would work if I substituted dill seed for the celery seed? I suppose it would kind of break the Bloody Mary mold, but it's what I've got!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would work just slightly different flavor. Honestly I would just leave out.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete