June 4, 2010

Rhubarb BBQ Sauce

This is the last of the Rhubarb.  Unfortunately the season appears to be over here. This was inspired by Knit and Nosh.  I decided that I wanted it more spicy so a few Chipotle made it into the sauce.  Well that and I still had some from making the salsa.  Can't let those beautiful little chiles go to waste.  The sauce is a bit on the sweet side but the chipotle slowly comes through.  When I make it next year I will back off on the amount of raisins and sugar.



Spicy Rhubarb BBQ Sauce

8 1/2 c Rhubarb, chopped
2  1/2 c Brown Sugar
1 1/2 c Raisins
1 Onion, chopped
1 c White Vinegar
5 chipotles in adobo
1 t Green Peppercorns, crushed
1 t allspice
1 t cinnamon
1 t ginger
1T salt, kosher

Place all ingredients in a large stock pot.  Bring to a simmer and cook for 20-30 mins.  At this point you will want to blend the sauce. This is easiest to do with an immersion blender as you can do it right in the pot without waiting for it to cool.  If doing in a blender or cuisinart allow to cool and blend in small batches.  Check the thickness of the sauce.  You can thin with more vinegar if wanted. I like my sauce very thick, figuring that I can thin it later if wanted. Place in pint jars and process for 20 mins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment