April 16, 2010

Rosemary Red Wine Jelly with Shallots



I wanted to come up with a tapas style jelly. I had two partial bottles of red wine. So that became my base. My next thoughts were toward what sauces I enjoy making from red wine. So the addition of rosemary and shallots.  A little bit of this on baguette combined with a poached egg or roasted mushrooms is a great starter. Opening a jar of this is wonderful. A beautiful ruby color with a smell that is a nice blend of rosemary and shallot. 

8 cups of red wine
1/2 cup diced shallot
1 Tablespoon of Rosemary, minced
1/2 cup of red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 Tablespoon of sugar
1 packet of no sugar pectin

Place the wine in a non-reactive pot and reduce by half over medium heat.  When reduced add all ingredients. and simmer for 5 mins. Add pectin and return to a boil. Boil for an additional 5 mins.  Process in water bath for 15 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment