August 6, 2010

Oregon Grape Jelly



 Another simple jelly for you.  Oregon Grapes are very high in pectin so no need for adding any.  The one problem that I ran into on this batch is that the grapes are very seedy.  The seeds are almost half of the grape.  When I make this again (and believe me I will be) I will be using a food mill. 



6 cups Oregon grapes
2 cups Water
2 cups sugar

Place the water and grapes in a sauce pan.  Bring to boil and boil until soft.  Allow to cool. When done drain and retain all of the liquid.  Smash the grapes with a large spoon or better yet run through a food mill. Place all liquid back in sauce pan and add the sugar.  Bring to a boil.  Allow to boil until it starts to jelly. About 20-30 mins.  Place in jars and process for 10 mins.  Enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. arent they really sour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are sour but the amount of sugar is plenty to sweeten them up. For my own personal batches I use even less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, very sour, but lots of flavor. Have you ever eaten a fresh cranberry? They are a tad bit sour, too. We also had gooseberry eating contests when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete