August 20, 2010

Spicy Ketchup

 Here is a fun and easy recipe for making ketchup.  If you don't want a spicy version just cut out the chilies. To make this recipe easy I recommend using a stick blender to blend the ketchup right in the cooking pot without having to wait for it to cool.



4 lbs tomatoes, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 chipoltes, rehydrated
4 jalapenos, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup honey
1 cup cider vinegar



Cook tomatoes, onion and garlic with salt over medium heat, stirring occasionally about 20 mins. Add spices, honey, peppers and vinegar continue to cook over medium heat for 15 mins.  Blend the mixture to a smooth sauce.  Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until very thick, 45 to 55 minutes (stir more frequently toward end of cooking to prevent scorching).

Place in pint jars and process for 20 mins.  Try to wait for 2 weeks before using.


2 comments:

  1. OK, now I am going to have to make a second batch of ketchup! I did a slow cooker version over the weekend. Made that one spicy so I think I will spice this one down so my kids have their own ketchup! I follow along on the canjam. Here's my August recipe for Spicy peachy salsa! http://www.canningwithkids.com/blog/2010/08/nicely-spicy-peach-salsa.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it turns out for you.

    ReplyDelete