Last week I taught a class on Canning for the Wallingford Community Kitchen. We ended up making 4 recipes. Spicy Corn Relish, Pickled Vegetables Strips, Blackberry Jam and Crab Apple Jelly. It was a late night but we got them done. Even a few extra jars for the Community Kitchen to raffle off at a later date.
For the Ballard Community Kitchen we did tomatoes and more tomatoes. We made and canned tomato bruschetta, a savory tomato cake and Gazpacho.
Here is the recipe for the cake. It is a cornbread with tomato, onions and basil. It was amazing.
For the Cake:
2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg
For the Topping:
3-4 large tomatoes, cut into crescents
1 onions, sliced into half moons
Herbs (basil, thyme, rosemary, etc)
1. Place the tomatoes and onions in the bottom of the oiled cake or pie tin in a tiled fashion.
2. Spread the herbs over the tomatoes and onions. Drizzle with olive oil.
3. Mix the cornbread together and spread evenly over the tomato herb mixture.
4. Bake for 20-25 mins at 350 until the cornbread is firm.
5. When slightly cooled. Place a large plate over the tin and invert.
Enjoy I know we did.