October 29, 2010

Georgian Apple Fennel Chutney

This amazing little chutney was inspired by a spice mixture. Khmeli Suneli is a spice blend from Georgia.  It contains fenugreek, cinnamon, black pepper, cloves and coriander.  Just the smell of it makes me think of winter evenings with a nice warm meal in front of me.

I have already been dipping into it and am planning on making yet another batch in the hopes of having enough for the winter.  I served it as a side with roasted potatoes, cabbage and onions with seitan in my case.  If you wanted to serve it with a meat I would say it would work well with anything except chicken and fish with lamb being the best.
 
As far as this being a chutney. I have a very hard time deciding what to call my savory preserves.  Honestly I tend to call the more solid and less liquid creation chutney and the more fluid ones relish.  If any of you have ideas on other names I would love to hear. 





Apple Fennel Chutney

2 yellow onions, sliced in half moons
2 fennel bulbs, sliced (white section only)
6 apples, peeled and diced (used 3 granny smiths and 3 galas)
1 1/2 cups white wine
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 T salt
1 1/2 Khmeli Suneli spice mixture (see above)

Place the onion, fennel and apples in a large pot.  Mix in the spice mixture and the salt. Allow to sit for 15 mins. Add the wine and vinegar.  

Over low heat cook until the apple is tender and most of the liquid has been cooked off.

Place in jars and process for 20 mins.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment