October 22, 2010

Spicy Bread and Butter Zucchini Pickles

One thousand and one ways use up zucchini.  Last year I made zucchini and carrot pickle strips
and plain bread and butter pickles from zucchini. I gave most of the bread and butters away because they were just a little too plain for me.  This year I wanted to try again but with the addition of some kick.  The addition of dried chile was just what I wanted.

Note: I have tested and tasted them.  I think they are great and have had more than a few people making requests for jars of them. 


Spicy Zucchini Bread and Butter Pickles

 3 cups apple cider vinegar
2 cup water
2 cups sugar
2 T salt
2 T mustard seed
2 t celery seed
1 T turmeric
4-6 dried chipotle peppers
8 garlic cloves 
8 cups zucchini, sliced
2 cups onions, sliced

Place all ingredients except the zucchini and onions in a large pot.  Bring to a boil and boil until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Boil an additional 5 minutes to infuse the chipotle into the brine.  Remove the chipotle and the garlic and divide between your jars.  Add the onion and the zucchini to the bring and simmer for 5 mins.  Divide the vegetables between your jars leaving 1/2" of head room.  Divide the brine and spices making sure that the vegetables are fully covered. Process for 10 mins.  Yield ~6 pints.

Enjoy

Note: I am still working on the spicy quince pickles.  The recipe is just not quiet there yet.  Hoping for next week if not I will be posting my Ukrainian Apple Fennel Chutney. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment